SC - Phaseolus recipes

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon May 8 09:35:00 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/8/00 10:02:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
TerryD at Health.State.OK.US writes:

<< You are attempting to limit
 "phaseolus" to one variety of Vigna, when it would probably have been
 applied to all the variants.  Have you compared the other members of the
 species to the illustration?  >>

Not really. I am attempting to positively identify one member as having been
used with certainty. This does not mean others were not used.

Yes, I have compared other members of the family with the illustration. None
come close to the similarity between yard-long and the illustration. None can
be said to look as much like a kidney as does the dried seed of the
yard-long. While others may have been (and most likely were) included in the
term 'green beans', my priority is identifying with as much certainty as is
possible at least one specific variety. Kidney beans. The likely hood of
calling a black-eyed pea a kidney bean is remote, IMO.

I am familiar with the work you quoted from. While not agreeing with some of
his conclusions in a few specific areas, I found his work to be informative
and an invaluable reference. I have listed him in the bibliography.

My biggest wall is the fact that the illustration is not germane to the
manuscript in which it is found, being used purely as ornament on the page.:-(

Ras