SC - hi, anise

JVButlerJr@aol.com JVButlerJr at aol.com
Mon May 8 18:08:17 PDT 2000

> Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 14:14:45 +0200 (MET DST)
> From: Par Leijonhufvud <parlei at algonet.se>
> Subject: Re: SC - Americans and corn (was: Food guessing game)
>
> On Mon, 8 May 2000, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
>
> > Wreckage can travel great distances underwater with submerged currents.
> > Regardless of whether this was a hoax or an anomaly, what it was _not_
> > was evidence of Roman trade with the [as yet undiscovered??] new world.
> > As with later Viking longships that are suppsed to have gone to all
>
> Correction: it was the knarr that did most of the long distance
> transport, including the transatlantic journeys. A shorter, fuller ship
> with much better deep sea behaviour.

Perhaps I was unclear. I was aware of the difference between the knarr
and the longship.

> The longship was a costal "racer",

So was the trireme, 99% of the time.

> and the crews knew the difference.

So did the crews of the Roman navy's triremes, which in several ways are
similar in design to the longship, if a bit larger. The Romans were not
known as sailors.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy