SC - Chicken Evolution

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Mon May 8 19:20:58 PDT 2000

More catching up on stuff I've been meaning to post. Here's the menue from
my feast last month.  Hauviette shared with me her Clancy Day Feast
menu/recipes/notes as I have had such a crazy winter and was getting 'down
to the wire" and still only had vague ideas and no plan. Her plan seemed to
rely upon knowing a food was available, and finding a medieval recipe from
any place in period.

Mine went a different direction, once deciding that a food was correct in
time, I hunted for recipes I could document as to place, so some of these
are speculative and some just plain modern.  "Land of Milk and Honey: The
Story of Traditional Irish Food and Drink, Brid Mahon,  Poolbeg Press,
Dublin" was my main source for information on whether or not a food was
available in Ireland at the appropriate time.  I wanted to follow up with
the sources she used, but was again fell short in time.

I'll post whichever recipes are wanted, let me know.

bonne

- -------

A 'Celtic' feast for Boat Wars at Buckston-on-Eno
Lady Bonne de Traquair
Windmasters' Hill, Atlantia
April 15, 2000

COURSE 1
Pickled Quail Eggs (Spec.)
Baked Mushrooms (Spec)
Samit Cheese (Fresh Cheese w/herbs) (florilegium, Aoife)
Wheaten bread (Spec)
Boiled Ham (Spec)
Cisti Meacan Ban (Parsnip Cakes) (19th C)

COURSE 2

Brotchan Rua (Leek and Oat soup) (Spec)
Marog Mheacan Dearg (Carrot and Almond Pudding) (1709 A.D.)
Kailkenney (Kale and Barley) (modern)
Benes Yfried (Lady Hauviette)
Roast Rib of Beef w/ Pepper Sauce (Redon, Medieval Kitchen)

COURSE 3
Honey Custard (Apicius)
Mixed Berries (Spec)