SC - Serving question

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Mon May 8 20:23:21 PDT 2000

    And after Pompeius Magnus (aka Pompey the Lucky) basically wiped out
piracy (thus avenging Caesar, BTW), the only thing left for the Roman navy
to do was river patrol, and their Mediterranean & Black Sea fleets rapidly
became a joke. A shame they never chose to explore up the major tributaries
of the Black Sea, things could have been so much more interesting . . .
    As for 'skilled sailors', though, well, for people who sailed around
inside a very large pond, I suppose they were. I note, however, that the
Atlantic scared the hell out of them. Once past the Pillars of Hercules, all
bets were off.

    Sieggy