SC -Coffee Soap

DianaFiona@aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Mon May 8 21:48:08 PDT 2000

> Didn't Columbus make numerous (two or three) voyages to the New World?
> Wasn't one of these trips to the actual continent?  I could be wrong, but
> this seems familiar.

Three voyages (1492, 1493, 1502).  He was made governor of the new found
lands and was based in Hispanola, IIRC.  In 1498, he explored at least part
of the coast of Venezuela and on the voyage of 1502, he explored part of
Central America.

> Actually, Columbus had very little to do with the annihilation of the
> indigent populations of the New World, and it is unfair to portray him in
> that light.  His successors were the villians.  Credit where it's due...
>
> Balthazar of Blackmoor

He wasn't exactly a sweetness and light sort of guy either, as he seized
slaves and his men accidentally destroyed some of the locals by disease.  He
also engaged his troops in hunting down Caribs, but even the other locals
agreed they needed some serious killing.

Bear