SC - Viking Foods

Aldyth@aol.com Aldyth at aol.com
Tue May 9 07:51:53 PDT 2000

- --------------C82719C4116810E83A9771AA

From: RuddR at aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 21:28:42 EDT
Subject: Vyolette
To: masterhuen at egroups.com, mk-cooks at midrealm.org,
        owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org

The violets were blanketing my rock garden last week, and I decided to
harvest them.  I spent most of last Saturday picking violets and trimming
their petals off.  It was even more tedious than blanching almonds.  I hauled
out _Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books_ and turned to:

VYOLETTE
Take Flourys of Vyolet, boyle hem, presse hem, bray hem smal, temper hem vppe
with Almaunde mylke, or gode Cowe Mylke, a-lye it with Amyndoun or Flowre of
Rys; take Sugre y-now, an putte (th)er-to, or hony in defaute; coloure it
with (th)e same (th)at (th)e flowrys be on y-peyntid a-boue.
Harelian MS 279

This recipe gives choices for just about every ingredient.  I chose almond
milk and rice flour because I had almond milk I needed to use up, and
happened to have rice flour on hand. The "flowrys y-peyntid aboue" mentioned
in the recipe refer to the previous recipe, and were painted with saffron or
sandlewood.  Why anyone would further color this lovely lavender pudding with
yellow or red is beyond me. Although it it not specifically mentioned, I
chose to simmer the almond milk and rice flour in order to aid thickening and
cook the flour.  One might consider using the violet colored water left after
boiling the petals to use making the almond milk.  Here is my redaction:

2 C violet petals, trimmed and rinsed.
1 C water
1 1/2 C unstrained almond milk
2 T rice flour
4 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp saffron, optional

1. In a saucepan, bring water to a boil.  Stir in violet petals, return to
the boil, stirring constantly, for one minute.  Drain the petals in a sieve,
and press out as much water as possible.

2. On a cutting board, finely mince the boiled petals, and mash them to a
paste.

3.  In a saucepan, over medium heat, bring almond milk to a boil, reduce
heat, and simmer, stirring frequently, for two minutes.  Stir in mashed
petals.  Stir in rice flour, a bit at a time,  Stir in sugar and saffron.
Continue to simmer and stir for five minutes.  Serve in individual small
bowls.

Serves four.

It was okay; It had the consistency of thick oatmeal, and was pleasantly
sweet.  The saffron, as well as changing the color from lavender to pale
yellow-green, added a saffron taste which covered up the delicate violet
taste it originally had.  Oh well, that's what the primary source said to do,
and we've got to take them at their word.  Using strained almond milk or cow
milk would have given it a smoother texture, but might have required more
rice flour to thicken it.  I don't know if I'll try it again next year at
this time; it was a lot of work.

Rudd Rayfield

- --------------C82719C4116810E83A9771AA--