SC - turkeys again

Tue May 9 10:34:48 PDT 2000

OK, as Jasmine reminded me, in the Middle, we do have our Peers frequently
serving and helping out. I don't know about anyone else, but I get the most
fun out of events by helping- at Pennsic, I'm primarily a Chirurgeon, at
other events, I like to help cook, as I helped Jasmine a bit with the veal,
and there are other events at which, for one reason or another, I'll wind up
sitting and chatting with my friends.

When I worked with Master O'Adamantius (don't ask) at EK Crown a couple of
years ago, I saw his Majesty Timothy come into the kitchen to help (and get
shoo'd back out). Everyone who was working for Adamantius had some flavor of
Hat or Necklace- I think Ras and I and the young boy who came to help were
the only ones who didn't have something greater than an AoA, and every time
I spotted someone who wasn't busy and I needed help, I'd ask, and they'd
cheerfully help- didn't matter what their rank was.

Helping is great fun. Not only are you doing something productive, but you
get all the best gossip, and make good friends to boot ;-) I'd suggest that
for those of you who are in areas where the Peers or Poobahs are generally
too grand to help, that you find a P who isn't quite as grand to help
obviously enough to shame the others. I learned this lesson, when I was a
newbie and Her Grace, Duchess Ann, Queen of Pennsic I and II, shaghai'd me
to help do dishes at Pennsic- and her ex-husband, Duke Andrew, King of
Pennsic I, II, and XI, was one of the folks who helped me cut up the veal
for Jasmine's Coronation Feast, even though he didn't attend. If these Grand
Ps can help, then anyone else can too.

Don't be afraid to ask folks, regardless of their perceived rank. Maybe you
don't want the reigning monarch to clean out the boy's toilet, but most of
them got where they are by helping other folk- and they'd not have done it
so consistantly if they didn't enjoy it.

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio

"All things are poisons.  It is simply the dose that distinguishes between a
poison and a remedy." -Paracelsus

"Oats -- a grain which in England sustains the horses, and in
Scotland, the men." -- Johnson

"It was pleasant to me to find that 'oats,' the 'food of horses,' were
so much used as the food of the people in Johnson's own town." --
Boswell

"And where will you find such horses, and such men?" -- Anonymous