SC - Unhistoric things we serve WAS:Shepherds Pie

Morgan Cain morgancain at earthlink.net
Tue May 9 11:53:26 PDT 2000

I'm in the mood to play and while I will probably take up Phlip's challenge,
I noticed that the herb pie might be a little scary for a real novice, so I
thought I would toss out a very simple, inexpensive recipe to play with, but
with a lot of room for creativity.

Here is a recipe for lasagne from Liber de coquina.  A transcript of the
original recipe follows the English translation.

Bear

Of lasagne

To make lasagne take fermented dough and make into as thin a shape as
possible.  Then divide it into squares of three fingerbreadths per side.
Then take salted boiling water and cook those lasagne in it.  And when they
are fully cooked, add grated cheese.

And if you like, you can also add good powdered spices and powder them on
them, when they are on the trencher.  Then put a layer of lasagne and powder
{spices} again; and on top another layer and powder, and continue until the
trencher or bowl is full.  Then eat them by taking them up with a pointed
wooden stick.

De Lasanis

Ad lasanas, accipe pastam fermentatam et fac tortellum ita tenuem sicut
poteris.  Deinde, divide eum per partes quadratas ad quantitatem trium
digitorum.  Postea, habeas aquam bullietem salsatam, et pone ibi ad
coquendum predictas lasanas.  Et quando erunt fortiter decocte, accipe
caseum grattatum.

Et si volueris, potes simil ponere bonas species pulverizatas, et pulveriza
cum istis super cissorium.  Postea, fac desuper unum lectum de lasanis et
iterum pulveriza; et desuper, alium lectum, et pulveriza:  et sic fac usque
cissorium uel scutella sit plena.  Postea, comede cum uno punctorio ligneo
accipiendo.