SC - pyes

Leah Neumann danicaneu_serb at yahoo.com
Tue May 9 15:19:07 PDT 2000

It may be a shock to some
Society members to learn that not all Baronies, Shires and Cantons are
chock-a-block with wealthy members, who can afford (either in money or
time)
to run out and buy dozens of serving platters and feasting utensils
whenever
the need arises.

> Balthazar of Blackmoor

	No, not a shock at all.  We did not 'run out and buy' these platters
without lots of consideration, time spent by nic and others in shopping
several sources, and after years of making do with inadequate gear.  We
are a relatively financially comfortable Barony, mostly because,  our
Founding Baron who was also the reeve at the time (28 years ago) could
squeeze a penny until Lincoln screamed, and we have been fiscally
responsible ever since.  We hold large, usually successful events, that
folks regularly show up for at the last minute and pay top dollar, so we
end up making money more often than not.  It was the considered opinion
of the group, after much discussion, input, and two different visual
presentations by niccolo that we came to the conclusion to spend this
money as a way to best serve our guests.   The set of plastic serving
bowls we are replacing were bought by my late husband and myself over a
decade ago, and we have gotten our discounted dollars
(going-out-of-business sale we found them at) out of them.   It was a
wise decision to go ahead and get something that would last and be
adaptable, rather than spend several small amounts here and there over
the years for sub-standard or disposable gear.
	I'm not knocking the stuff you can find at flea markets and such, I have
lots of that personally, much of it really cool.  Unfortunately, you
can't really find anything in lots of dozens at that sort of place.
Christianna
who was glad to have nic put the time and effort into his research on the
Barony's behalf