SC - European Food

grizly@mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Tue May 9 16:58:16 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/9/00 9:52:53 AM Pacific Daylight Time, DeeWolff at aol.com
writes:

> While I truly enjoy these mundanely, I am always taken aback when I see
them
>  on the table at an event.

    The "Eurocentric prejudice" regarding food is an attitude I will never,
ever understand.  The Chinese were eating tomatoes before the Europeans were.
 So were the arabs.  Peanuts were being grown and eaten in Siam and India for
thousands of years.  Bananas were being eaten in Southeast Asia for thousands
of years as well.  Hot peppers have been an elemenf of Indian cooking (as
well as Mongolian, Afghan, and Siamese) for centuries.  Sure sounds like they
were period... oh, not European, of course, but period.

    But if we are talking about Europe, lets consider:  The tomato entered
Italian cuisine in the 1500's... which is during period.  Potatoes were being
grown as a food crop in Spain and France in the 1500's as well.  Period again.

    The problem seems to me that we (the generic "we") forget that period is
more than the Renaissance and the Dark Ages, but the Age of Exploration as
well.

    Sayyid Suleyman al-Rashid ibn Beyazid