SC - Help!!

allilyn@juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Wed May 10 02:44:36 PDT 2000

This amazes me.  Aiofe, you've just got to come down our way more often!
I did sigh unhappily at the posted menu for the food court at Amaral, but
in the Barony Marche of the Debateable Lands, lunch is planned by the
Kitchen Steward, although often cooked or supervised by others.
Turnovers are very popular, as are the ubiquitous hard-boiled eggs, soup
if it's cold, etc.

Here's a sample:
Lunch
Rauioles, baked				Sourbread dough turnovers
with chicken filling
Leche frys of fische daye			Cheese tart (Swiss, for
Cygnus,
					with brick + Gruyere) turnover
form
Pickles					platter of mixed,
purchased
Target tarts				Carrots, apples, walnuts
Fresh fruit in season—bowl of plums and peaches, a few grape clusters and
flowers for looks
Syrup of Simple Sikanjabîn, Ice Water

The target tarts were a peri-oid thing I did, part subteltie, to honor
the archers at the event.  They had 3 rings of filling, and crumbled
whole wheat biscuits pressed into the pie crust edge, to resemble the
straw sticking out of archery targets.

Target Tartes  (for an archery event)
Concentric rings: outer is spiced, mashed carrots [try with rice flour
to make a solid when baked], inner is cooked, spiced, chunky apples [with
the beaten egg yolks?], small center ring is sugared, cloved walnuts,
held together with beaten egg white.  Paper ‘fletching’ on toothpicks,
stuck in targets.  Could press shredded wheat into top edge of tarte
crust for the ‘hay’.
Outer ring
1 lb. [3 C. mashed carrots]		¼ C. brown rice flour
1 t. cinnamon				¼ t. ginger
3 T. brown sugar				1 T. melted
butter
Center ring  [get recipe from Flip]
Flip: boil sugar in water to syrup, mix in walnuts, sprinkle with cloves,
let dry.
2 C. coarsely chopped walnuts		cloves
sugar					2 egg whites, beaten to soft
peaks
Inner ring
¾ C.  [½-1 can chunky apple sauce]	2 beaten egg yolks
¼ t. nutmeg				¼ t. mace
buttery pie crust, shredded wheat biscuits
Pare and chop carrots, simmer until tender, drain.  Puree in blender with
the flour, spices, sugar and butter.  Mix cloves, sugar and walnuts,
stir-fry, beat egg whites to soft peak, stir enough into nuts to hold
them together when baked.  Beat egg yolks, add with spices to chunky
apple sauce, stir well.  Make a set of heavy cardboard rings, grease well
for re-use.  Set in pie shell, fill, carefully remove rings.  Press a
little crumbled shredded wheat into pie shell edge to resemble the straw
in the target butts.  Bake until set in very low oven so as not to change
colors.  Slice with very sharp knife.  Extremely labor intensive version:
 Make individual targets, molding pie crust over large tomato can bottom,
or large muffin cup.
Preliminary version to try for redaction  We ended up doing a number of
large pies, rather than the little hand-size, and cutting slices.

The fresh fruit turned out to be mostly oranges.  They were good, and
reasonable in cost, as the other fruits were not, in the market the day
before.

My dead hard drive ate other menus, but down here, we don't serve hot
dogs or corn on the cob!

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com