SC - Unhistoric things we serve WAS:Shepherds Pie

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Wed May 10 23:45:34 PDT 2000

Sorry for quoting so much, but i want to avoid confusion or misattribution...

I too am interested in Asian foods, so i'd like to hear about any
documentation or resources.

I recently found some references to tofu in period (although not in
Europe). Unfortunately, they're all in Japanese, so i only have a
brief synopsis to go on.

I'm especially curious about Indonesian and other Southeast Asian
foods, but there's very little documentation there in "period". Most
of what we have comes from the period of colonization, which didn't
get into full swing until the middle of the 17th century.

It was told to me that the Chinese had a lively trade with Indonesia
- - birds nests, in particular, were gathered from the cliffs of Java,
but this is more anecdotal than anything i can adequately document
(since i don't read Chinese).

I know the Indians had a lively trade with Indonesia going way back,
which can be documented, in as much as there are first Buddhist
monuments, then Hindu, then Muslim in Indonesia, for as the religion
of India changed, thus did the religion of their trading partners in
the Indonesian archipelago. Indians came for Indonesian spices and
perhaps bananas and other plants were traded as well (my conjecture,
not a statement). There's major Indian influence on Indonesian
textiles that greatly predates the 19th century and can be traced to
beginning around the 6th century and continuing for many centuries
after. I'm afraid my documentation is on the art and not on the
foodstuffs, but i rather doubt the Indians were sailing to Indonesia
just to influence Indonesian religion, architecture, and arts. I'm
sure they came all that way to get something...

Anyway, as the peanut features in a number of Indonesian dishes, i'd
be interested to find out when it arrived in the archipelago.