SC - Unhistoric things we serve OT

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Thu May 11 12:49:06 PDT 2000

- --- Bronwynmgn at aol.com wrote:
> Daylight Time, LrdRas at aol.com
> writes:
>
> << Probably, although the crusaders were for the
> most part members of noble
>  households.  >>
>
> Actually, my reading shows that many of the people
> on the First Crusade,
> especially of the group that made it to Istanbul
> first, were not noble at
> all.  Many of them were peasants, with no more
> notion of how to fight a war
> than their livestock would have...In fact, one group
> was led by the
> livestock, a divinely-inspired goose.
>
> Brangwayna Morgan

Same here...I read for a class on the Crusades, plus
I got a series of books in the UK by (Steven
Runciman?)
and it seems that at various times there were entire
bands of lost peasantry wandering around the Balkans
and the area of Constantinople, getting themselves
killed or enslaved or dying en route, and all because
they wanted to reach the Holy Land--not because they
were that excited to go to war.

Berengaria