SC - OT Vegetarian Vampires (was Absinthe)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu May 11 18:06:35 PDT 2000

Another thing to consider is the fact that some of the immigrant Asians
we encounter here in the USA can tend to have a different view of
history. For some, it is not a subsistence issue and therefore interest
in it is kind of a whimsical thing. For example, the lady that was
recently mentioned as having gotten a recipe from her great-grandmother,
who got it from hers, etc., therefore the recipe would have to have been
over 500 years old. To some people, there's no problem with the logic of
this, and in many social situations there's no need to be any more
logical or specific than that. Then again, there's my mother-in-law,
whom I've asked on occasion to help me find Chinese recipes from prior
to the Ming Dynasty (since my wife isn't fully literate in written
Chinese), and her response has always been, "Why, for heaven's sake,
would you want to know about that? This is the 20th century and those
people are all dead."

Heaven forfend, though, that one of her children or grandchildren should
fail a history test in school... ;  )

Adamantius, still trying