SC - Sawgeat-recipe and comments

allilyn@juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Thu May 11 21:52:07 PDT 2000

Landsberg, Sylvia. The Medieval Garden. Thames & Hudson, 1995. ISBN
0-500-01691-7. Thames & Hudson, Inc. 500 Fifth Avenue, NY 10110. The
author has designed several 12th to 16th C. gardens, including one at
Shrewsbury Quest for the fictional Brother Cadfael and one in Winchester
called Queen Eleanor's Garden. Contains lists of plants from period
works, photos of present day gardens, reproductions of garden plans, 14th
& 15th C. paintings which include gardens, labors of the month paintings,
lots of good illustrations. Have not seen some of the reproductions
before; they are of interest to the costumer, as well. This is nice to
browse through even if you are not a gardener, as I am not, but
wonderful, if you are planning to have a medieval garden of your own.
There's a photo that contains a yellow flowered woad plant in bloom, too.
Peasants' gardens, Ladies' pleasaunce, orchards, all kinds of gardens,
here. This also has suggestions for your own garden, vine arbor, rose
trellis, and much more. RECOMMENDED

This is from my bibliography.  I really like this book for the knowledge
it gives me, the dreams it inspires (I can't even keep a Philodendron
healthy) and the general enjoyment.  It's a keeper.

Which Medieval Kitchen?  Numerous authors use that title, in various
languages.  Why can'tr they all be as clever as our Sincegifu?  Nobody
has to ask what book is meant by _Take a thousand Eggs or more..._  (Just
which volume, which edition)

Regards, and a very Happy Birthday!

Allison,     allilyn at juno.com