SC - tomato references

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu May 11 22:10:41 PDT 2000

Balthazar,

I remember reading that, and the comments.  I've looked up a comparable
recipe from the Neapolitan Collection, which Martino may have read, may
have copied, may have written.

#4.  Twelve Servings of White Dish to go on Capons.
	Get two pounds of blanched almonds and steep them for a day in
cool water; then get one or more breasts of capon and grind them up with
the almonds and a crustless loaf of white bread soaked in lean broth;
then get a little verjuice, half an ounce of peeled ginger and more than
half a pound of sugar; distemper all this in lean capon broth and strain
it into a pot which you will set against the fire, away from the smoke,
constantly stirring with a spoon, and let it cook for half an hour; when
cooked, add in three ounces of rosewater; then dish it up or, if you
wish, cover capons or any other fowl with this White Dish, and serve; to
make it all prettier, garnish with a few pomegranite seeds.

The recipe which Redon uses obviously came from a collection similar to
this.  (Bell rang for Vespers, monk got interrupted, lost his place in
copying)  She uses 2 recipes from this ms, BTW, so she had access to it
and it is possibly the basis for her suggestions.

Hieatt has some interesting comparisons of the change of the White Dish,
over time, in her Introduction to Curye on Inglysch.  You'll enjoy
reading those, too.

Is this the precursor of the ubiquitous political luncheon creamed
chicken??????
Inquiring minds don't really care.  ;-)

As for the rosewater, it is distilled, and that is illegal where you are.
 We went through this last summer--Stefan has probably collected the
posts, or they would be part of the archives.

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com