SC -Asian cuisine

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Fri May 12 06:36:17 PDT 2000

It's not that there aren't period sources.  I am certain there are.  However,
between the fact that up until fairly recently, it was hard to get information
out of mainland China and the lesser amount of interest in early oriental
cuisines, there is very little available that has been published.  I'm sure that
if we searched libraries in China, Taiwan, etc., we'd find lots...I have found
references to them numerous times.

I did recently acquire a history of Chinese food that I'm still working on going
through...unfortunately it is out of print, so I got mind from The Haunted
Bookstore, who found it in a search for me.  It's called "Food in Chinese
Culture" by K. C. Chang, published in  1977 by Yale Univeristy Press, ISBN
0-300-01938-6.  I hope that, while it will not give me any period recipes, it
will at least give me a feel for what foods/dishes were period and what were
not.

I'm also on the trail, with Devra's help, of a similar publication about
Japanese food.  We've been waiting for its publication for several months
now...and still waiting...and waiting...etc.

Kiri