SC - Cherries

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Fri May 12 06:54:44 PDT 2000

> As for the rosewater, it is distilled, and that is illegal where you are.
>  We went through this last summer--Stefan has probably collected the
> posts, or they would be part of the archives.

FWIW, According to the American BATF (and yes, I have been talking to
them), Distilling of non alcoholic beverages and ingredients is not illegal.
And the code is a bit fuzzy about redistilling previously distilled and taxpaid
alcohol (like soaking rose petals in vodka and distilling that), acoording to
one agent, I talked to that is illegal, to another, that is perfectly legal,
because the taxes owing on the alcohol are paid, and no new alcohol
comes into existing against which taxes are owing. I tend to believe the
latter, myself.
Keep in mind that your local law enforcement may disagree, and mixing
a heat source and alcohol vapors is a bloody dangerous thing to do,
anyway.
But, outside of alcohol production, distilling is perfectly legal in the 50 United
States and the US territories.
Contact your local BATF office and verify that what you are trying to do is
legal. They will be the ones deciding on whether to prosecute.
(They can also seize your house and goods and slap you in jail without
notification, and you are not entitled to jury trial, just a Treasury Dept
hearing. Dont f**k with the Treasury dept. They can play real dirty, if they
feel like it.)

brandu