SC - Re: Competition entries

Serian serian at uswest.net
Fri May 12 07:46:18 PDT 2000

> so what are those period ones like?  Would they be more like
> the choke cherry?  More sour?

There were many different type of cherries in period.  At least three
different type are displayed in The Fruit Seller.  The problem is the
cherries are often classified by the color of their juice and the tartness
or sweetness of their taste; two characteristics difficult to transmit
without direct experience.  As an opinion, any modern cherry probably had a
counterpart in the Middle Ages and you should probably seek those types
which best fit the recipe.

> And what about strawberries.  I haven't checked the
> florilegium yet and I absolutely must get to bed before 1 am
> today.  The only food ref I have is Food in History and
> they're not mentioned.  Not sure of the history.  Thanks.
> Serian

Pardon any errors, but I'm working from memory.  Strawberries were mostly
harvested from the wild prior to the 14th Century.  They then were brought
from the wild and planted in manor gardens.  The type commonly planted was
the "fraise du bois" or European woodland strawberry, whose scientific name
escapes me.  Also available, but less common, was Fragaria moschata or the
musky strawberry.

In the New World, Fragaria virginiana and Fragaria chiloensis were found.
Because of chromosomal differences, cross-breeding with "fraise du bois" and
F. moschata is very unproductive.  F. virginiana and F. chiloensis
cross-breed easily with each other and in the 18th Century they were
cross-bred to produce the modern commercial strawberries.

"Fraise du bois" are available, but you will probably need to grow your own
or purchase them through a specialty grocer.  I know that the berries are
unavailable in any of my local markets.

Bear