SC - sourdough experiment #1 alternate method

Bethany Public Library betpulib at ptdprolog.net
Thu May 11 23:05:08 PDT 2000

- ----------
> From: Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com>
> To: sca-cooks at ansteorra.org
> Subject: Re: SC - Scandinavian Cook Books?
> Date: Thursday, May 11, 2000 8:32 PM
> This is a toughie. You'll note that your own Barony used Anthimus as a
> recipe source for some of the dishes in the recent Heorot event, or so a
> little A&S bird told me.

I was there & enjoyed that feast a lot!  I washed dishes after the feast
for hours, it was worth it. The best part for me was the garlic boiled in
stock.  A very diffrent flavor for the garlic lover!

> We seem to have some very vague literary references to and descriptions
> of some Viking Age Scandinavian foods, but I'm not aware of any extant
> recipes.

	I've seen some of theas in extracts (all of the books are at home).  I
have just started on this project of tracking down food/recipies & so there
may be much I have missed & the Poetry of the Norse is not one of my major
areas of intrest (food, jewelry, metalcraft & wood working are more my area
of intrest)

>There are several variants on a food-based recipe text from the
> 13th-15th centuries, but the original is believed to have come from
> someplace considerably South of Scandinavia, like, say, Provence. It
> could conceivably have been used as a cookery source in 13th-century
> Denmark, I guess, but how much that helps you I don't know.

	I don't think they would work for what I am interested in.  If I remember
Provence is Medetrainian side of France a little diffrent in the type of
food available.  Things I would like to get hold of would be old cookbooks
from the Isle of Man, Normandy, Orkneys, Shetlands, Iceland, or Scandinavia
from as close to period as possible.  I realize that most of them will be
late or post period them being in English would be a plus too.

> Then there are also the Two Anglo-Norman MSs, 13th-century English,
> written in French, and the roughly contemporary German Buoch Von Guter
Spise.

	Theas sond more along the lines of what I am interested in.  The problem I
have is that I am lingusticaly chalenged & new to this depth of research.
Are there translations to English & ISBN's for the books you have
mentioned?  Unfortunatly I am not a scholar, at best I am a begining
amature experimental archeologist, trying to get close to what was done in
my area of intrest for the fun of it.  I realy need some direction on where
to get the documentation to do this research.

> You might check with the Regia Anglorum people, too.

Who?  I keep finding new places on the web!

> Adamantius
> --
Thank you for your assistance & prompt response.

Hej!
Olaf