SC - biscuits oop

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Fri May 12 12:13:13 PDT 2000

You won't get San francisco style sourdough unless you happen to have
Lactobacillus sanfrancisco in your starter.  The sourness a by-product of
the lactobacilli and its interaction with the wild yeast, usually some
variety of Candida milleri.  Lactobacillus sanfrancisco is found in the Bay
Area and works exceptionally well with C. milleri.

I make starter by preparing a 2 to 1 mixture of flour to water in a bowl,
then cover the bowl (the local area often has mold problems) and let it
stand on the counter for a few days.  The amylase reaction of the flour and
water feeds the wild yeast commonly found with the flour and produces a
starter.  In two to three days the starter will begin to bubble after which
it needs to be fed 2/1 flour/water about every 12 hours if kept it on the
counter or every 2 to 3 days if kept in a sealed container in the
refrigerator (a sealed container keeps it from drying out).  Use regularly
to keep the starter happy.

Right now, Herman (the starter I was playing with a couple years ago) is
sleeping in the freezer.  It is about time to resurect him from his
cryogenic rest and put him to work.

Bear