SC - blood from slaughter houses (was OT Vegetarian Vampires (was Absinthe))

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri May 12 19:04:20 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/12/00 8:47:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
letrada at yahoo.com writes:

<< To me, a very literal translation such as you suggest
 "feels" less accurate than a slightly looser translation
 that fits into the new language more smoothly.  I can do
 the stilted stuff if that's what people would prefer,
 though.

 Dana/Ximena >>

I don't think that is necessary personally. I was just wondering. :-) In
areas where you clearly need to use different words to make it read clearly,
may I suggest a footnote indicating the  literal translation? For instance if
a phrase translates something like 'sheep's wool' when that term clearly
means say 'spun sugar' would it be possible to indicate the literal meaning
(sheep's wool) in a footnote while keeping the more sensible term (spun
sugar) in the main body?

Just a thought......