SC - Books

bill mayfield wpmay at hotmail.com
Sat May 13 09:51:39 PDT 2000

Balthazar skrev:

>Indeed.  This list has helped me, personally, in a huge way..... I no
>longer think I know everything about cooking...

Balthazar, it's been said in many ways, in many cultures, that the first
step towards wisdom is realization of your own ignorance ;-) Now that you've
settled down a bit, you look like you're going to become a valuable addition
to Cook's List, unlike those who shall remain nameless, who have charged in
here "knowing" everything about anything, and got mad and left because we
asked for documentation.

I had an advantage when I arrived- I knew perfectly well I knew almost
nothing about Medieval Cooking, but with the guidance and help of these good
folk, I still know very little, but now I know where to look for answers.
And, let me not forget the hands-on training I've gotten, as well, from
Adamantius and Ras and Jasmine, on the matter of cooking for large numbers
of people, and from my compatriots in the SPCA camp, where we're working
together to develop more and more period meals to be served at Pennsic.

Learning can be a long journey, and the journey can be a goal in itself, far
superior to Journey's End- if you're lucky, Journey's End is merely the
beginning of another journey.....

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio

"All things are poisons.  It is simply the dose that distinguishes between a
poison and a remedy." -Paracelsus

"Oats -- a grain which in England sustains the horses, and in
Scotland, the men." -- Johnson

"It was pleasant to me to find that 'oats,' the 'food of horses,' were
so much used as the food of the people in Johnson's own town." --
Boswell

"And where will you find such horses, and such men?" -- Anonymous