SC - Lard

UnruhBays, Melanie A UnruhBays.Melanie.A at broadband.att.com
Sun May 14 08:25:20 PDT 2000

> There's a ridged roller break for biscuits that does provide aeration,
> it seems. Pictures suggest that the rollers are kind of like long gears
> whose teeth don't quite mesh. <clipped>

For modern English, the spelling is brake and break is what it does.  I
think you will find the ridged rollers were originally used to crush flax
and hemp.

	<clipped>It seems to me that the roller break wouldn't accomplish
this in
> the same way, but I suspect that if it absolutely didn't do the job, it
> wouldn't have remained a commercially available food prep tool for
> upwards of 200 years.
>
> Adamantius

Think about the last time you kneaded 8 to 10 pounds of bread dough then
multiply by 20 or 30 and you understand why bakers use brakes.  It may not
produce beaten biscuits, but that's a bagatelle when literally producing
your daily bread.

Bear

Bear