SC - Gravy making

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun May 14 18:32:58 PDT 2000

Maire detailed Lady Constance's A&S entry:
> Artemisia held its annual A&S Championship today, and our new Champion
> is Lady Constance de la Rose, who knocked me off my judging feet with
> some of _the_ most incredible cooking entries I've ever seen in all my
> 12? years in the SCA.  She presented a salat, for which she had made her
> own malt vinegar (starting with making her own beer, aging in an oak
> cask, etc), made her own salt by boiling sea water, etc.  Grew her own
> herbs and vegetables.  Entered some cordials for which she'd made her
> own sugar.  Entered two geese, one endored and stuffed with a fruit and
> egg stuffing, and the other w/a meat-based stuffing, both of which she
> cooked in an actual medieval-construction brick oven.  She shot the
> geese herself with a long bow....Entered a pastry castle subtletie for
> which she'd hand-ground the flour (amazingly different texture, by the
> way).  She spent months researching back and forth between all manner of
> period sources, trying and redacting and tweaking.

Wow!  wow! Geez. wow!

As I read this I had to keep telling myself it was not April 1st and
that I really do trust folks here to be truthful. :-) Any of these
various projects rates very high in my book.

Lady Constance, if you are reading this, I would be very interested
in publishing your documentation in the Florilegium. Or seperate
articles on things like constructing the brick oven, the salt and
the docs you have on salt refining in the MA, your experiences in
refining the sugar, your experiences in hand-grinding the flour,
making the malt vinegar and probably others. Please contact me if
you are interested.

Maire, could you please forward this to Lady Constance in case she
isn't on this list. Thanks.

Wow.
  Stefan
- --