SC - Artemisia's new A&S Champion (longish)

Serian serian at uswest.net
Mon May 15 08:44:03 PDT 2000

In my neck of the woods it's Chicken and Biscuits. I live in North East
Pennsylvania, that exotic far-away land so vastly removed from Ras's Central
Pennsylvania's Chicken-n-waffles, that the cuisine is strangely different
and dissimilar.

Here's How I do it (sold many many bowls of this to the vegetarians at a
local holistic fair ;).

Stew the chicken in enough water to cover, with some root veggies (nothing
that clouds like potatoes), and the seasoning of choice (I use fresh
marjoram, thyme, sage, Salt &fresh peppercorns plus what ever is in season
in my garden) and allow some of the steam to escape to reduce the liquid by
half during the cooking. You'll want 2-3 pints of it for a large-ish
chicken. Allow the chicken to cool in the broth. Remove the chicken and
shred it from the bones and gristle. Chuck the bones. Keep the flesh. Strain
the broth and reserve it.

Grate a carrot and a small onion, a stalk of celery. Sauté in a small
saucepan with 1/4 cup clarified butter. Season highly with your above
herbs/spices. Add flour slowly to make a vegetable-y roux (using enough
flour to make a medium-thick gravy with your strained broth---no paste! It
must be pourable!). Slowly add the broth, keeping the mass in motion with a
whisk to prevent lumps. Cook gently until thickened, add the chicken shreds.
Simmer, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Keep warm, covered, until
hungry people want some.

Serve over fresh split biscuits (or waffles if you are a heathen), and have
more biscuits on the side for eating with fresh butter and honey or jam.

Cheers

Aoife

>  And
>  Yes....you stew the chicken until it falls off the bones..remove the
bones,
>  skin, gristle, etc and make gravy with the broth.  Add the shredded
chicken
>  meat to the gravy.  Serve over hot, crispy waffles!

If anyone has a particular favorite recipe for this, could you pass it along
privately?  What kind of gravy?  Cream?  Veloute Sauce?  Are there
vegetables
in it, etc...?

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Complacency Breeds Contempt