SC - manual de mugeres #64-67

Mon May 15 09:05:22 PDT 2000

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Phlip asked:
> > Stefan, I seem to remember we had had fairly extensive discussions about tea
> > eggs, but I couldn't find them in the Florilegium- where have you hidden
> > them?
>
> Yes, I remember this dyeing eggs with tea coming up several times. There is
> a brief mention of it in the eggs-msg file. However, since tea was not known
> in Europe during our time frame and since there was no evidence of tea
> being used to dye eggs in period, I didn't add that info to the Florilegium.
> (see tea-msg).

True.  However, I happen to have a handy dandy period reference to a very similar
method in Hugh Plat's _Jewell House of Arte & Nature_.  As I recall, he suggests
painting the eggs with lard, scratching out the design, and then soaking in
straight vinegar.  His suggestion for a cool presentation piece is to etch the
person's motto or something similar.   I'm planning to test it sometime this week
for my feast night.  I'll type up the reference and post it in a day or so.

- -Magdalena