SC - OT OOP Dragon cake special effects cookbook

barwench barwench at oldenfeld.org
Mon May 15 16:15:14 PDT 2000

The dish that is called "hordiate" in the manual de mujeres has a long
tradition as a sick dish. There are three recipes for "ordiat" in the
earlier Catalan Libre de Sent Sov?(#97 and #98 on p. 128-130 and
#30 in
fragment V on p. 223 in Grewe's edition). The basic ingredients are
barley, almond milk and sugar. Grewe, in a note, distinguishes three
types: a sort of creme, a version with grains, and a liquid/filtered
version (the note is in Catalan, I hope I got everything right).

According to Grewe, similar dishes are to be found:
- -- in the Viandier (ed. Pichon/Vicaire p. 25/ ed. Scully #93 p. 163f.)
- -- in the M駭agier (ed. Pichon II 242/ ed. Brereton-Ferrier #304
p.
265f.)
- -- in the Neapolitan recipe collection (ed. Scully #32; here, "brodo de
galine" is added too)
- -- in Ruperto de Nola (ed. Iranzo p. 87 "Ordiate para dolientes" and p.
96f. "Auenate y ordiate")
- -- in Diego Granado Maldonado 1599 (fol. 370b-373b "Hordiates para
dolientes", "Hordiate de ceuada preparada", "Para hazer hordiate de
ceuada comun", "Para hazer hordiate liquido", "Para hazer hordiate que
se pueda lleuar por camino"; there is some mis-foliation in my copy:
fol. 371 has "401").

In addition, there are several such dishes in the book of Anna Wecker
1598; she says that she gives different variants to avoid monotony:
"Alles beschreib ich auff mancherley wei゜ von wegen der krancken/
heut
so/ morgen auff ein besondere wei゜ zu bereiten/ alsdann meinen
sie
immer/ es sey ein anders" (p. 7f.).

A further example from dietetic literature: "Vnd von gem? vnd
k?n mag
?er gnad essen gersten, wol gekocht vnd mit mandelmilch wol
bereitt
..." '... your Highness may eat barley, well cooked, and prepared with
almond milk' (Regimen sanitatis editum pro Friderico palatino Rheni per
doctorem Minsinger in fluxu catarrali ad pectus; 15th century, German;
ed. G. Eis).

It seems, that the expression "(h)ordiat(e/a)" goes back to latin
"hordeum" 'barley'. I am pretty sure that the background for this
preparation are the medical and dietetic beliefs of ancient medicine.

Best,
Thomas