SC - Rosemary... and Thyme

DianaFiona@aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Mon May 15 20:59:41 PDT 2000

There were herb teas, Stefan, and onion skins.  As to references to egg
dying in period, I know there are some for dying Easter Eggs red,
although without a collection of the Eastern European sources, I don't
have them.  Beets, perhaps, as I used to make pickled eggs and beets for
picnics and summer salads.  Save the pickle juice when you've finished
your jar of pickles, add canned beets with the juice, or fresh, cooked
beets you've done yourself, add shelled hard-boiled eggs, let sit in back
of frig.

Since this was for the most important holiday in the church calendar,
they may have been willing to spring for the imported red dyes, although
there are references to the peasants taking theior eggs to mass for the
blessing, and I doubt if the peasants, even thrifty ones, could come up
with the cash for red dyes.  Traded for fur, perhaps?  (I'd have said
'poached fur', but Ras would have wanted the recipe)

 It does make a nice subtlety--can't wait to try doing some of the fancy
things the MidRealm post suggests.  We don't know what colors a number of
the herb teas would produce.  Maybe you could keep the posts, in the
subtley file perhaps?  As folks make trials, we could let you know.  Rose
hips make a pretty, pink tea.  Will have to try them on eggs.

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com