SC - Lard

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon May 15 22:24:34 PDT 2000

Greetings from Casamira Jawjalny, O.L.
from Loch Salann, Artemisia

At this weekend's Artemisian A&S competition I entered Polish  Black
Soup - Czarnina -  made with blood.  The Loch Salann Cook's Guild was
given the "opportunity" to slaughter 3 geese, and I saved the blood just
to make Czarnina.

I had eaten Czarnina as a kid, but didn't ever think I'd make it.  The
recipe I have is the family recipe from 1895.  I didn't find an original
recipe.  It wasn't in any of my resources, although in "Food and Drink in
Medieval Poland - Rediscovering a Cuisine of the Past"
Maria Dembinska refers to it as being made in period.

If anyone wants the recipe, I'll send it privately.

I also want to let you know that Constance de la Rose did an outstanding
job and deserved to be Artemisian A&S Champion.  Mst. Maire didn't
mention the Pynade - Medieval Candy.  Constance took 5 different medieval
recipes, and made several batches, trying out different recipes and
measurements.

She acquired the raw, unprocessed honey from a local bee keeper and
processed it herself, ground the ginger root from what she had grown,
hand ground all of the spices and hand shelled all of the pine (pinion)
nuts before blanching to remove the skin.

The display was even more impressive.  For this entry, Constance
submitted 7 different flavors of Pynade.  The judge's samples were on
labeled silver plates.  She also had 7 baskets filled with samples
wrapped in paper (sanitary reasons) in baskets for the populace.
[Leftovers were given to the Crown to use as gifts.]
There were napkin rings made from Pynade stuffed with meat to show that
this candy had other uses.
There was a 24" x 15" heraldic display of the Artemisian Arms made from
Pynade and Marzipan.

It has been my joy to watch this talented lady grow in the 3 years I've
known her.  And I'm proud to have her as my apprentice.   I just hope I
can keep up with her!

Casamira