SC - Re: Asian Cuisine

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Tue May 16 08:38:08 PDT 2000

The earliest use of flour and fat to make a roux I know of is from Sabina
Welserin (1553), where there are several.  Here is one from Valois
Armstrong's translation:

"First, when you would make a black sauce, you should heat up a little fat
and brown a small spoonful of wheat flour in the fat and after that put good
wine into it and good cherry syrup, so that it becomes black, and sugar,
ginger, pepper, cloves and cinnamon, grapes, raisins and finely chopped
almonds. "

It sure sounds like a roux thickened sauce to me.

Bear