SC - Books

lilinah@earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue May 16 12:43:32 PDT 2000

Hello All,
This is a 1939 translation of the 16th c. manuscript Libellus de
medicinalibus Indorum herbis that was "discovered" in the Vatican Library
in the 1930's. Multiple copies of this and an associated article published
in 1935 by the Smithsonian can be seen offered for sale online at
www.bookfinder.com, although most appear to have languished there because
they are overpriced. A couple with somewhat detailed descriptions:

Gates, William The De La Cruz-Badiano Aztec Herbal of 1552. Baltimore: ,
1939 The Maya Society Pub. No.23. XXI/144pp. Numerous illus. of plants and
the medical use by the Aztecs. Gates has translated the Aztec into English.
[note from Amanda - this is incorrect, Gates translated the LATIN into
English]. Contains the full text and all of the plants as contained in the
original manuscript: Codex Barbarini, Latin 241. Note: The Gates
translation differs in some degree from "Thre Badianus Manuscript
translated by Emily Walcott Emmart in 1940. Book # 000193 Price: US$ 250.00
Homepage of Bob Fein Books, NM, U.S.A.

Author is Emmart, Emily Walcott
Title is The Badianus Manuscript. (Codex Barberini, Latin 241), Vatican
Library. An Aztec Herbal of 1552. With a foreword by Henry E. Sigerist.

EMMART, Emily Walcott. : Concerning the Badianus Manuscript, an Aztec
Herbal, 'Codex Barberini, Latin 241' (Vatical Library). ; Washington, D.C.,
Smithsonian Institution, May 18 1935. 8vo. (4) + 14pp. With 4 plates
(facsimiles of the MS., one in colour). Publisher's printed wrappers. A
scholarly article on this first American herbal, recently discovered, and
the 'only one written by the Aztecs themselves'. It was composed in 1552 in
the 'College of Santa Cruz at Tlaltelolco, Mexico City ... the first
college erected for Indians', and is attriibuted to Martin de la Cruz whose
name appears in the dedication; he wrote out the work in Aztec, and it was
then translated into Latin by Juannes Badianus, also a student at the
College. Well preserved, inoffenseive stamp on cover. Smithsonian
Miscellaneous Collections, vol 94, no 2. GBP35.00 View the Hunersdorff Rare
Books Home Page at www.bibliofind.com

For those who care to, please read my tirade about Amazon.com below.

Amanda
Acanthus Books
http://www.acanthus-books.com

I cringe every time I read an email that says "Look, I found this at
Amazon!" Amazon's promotional strategy is to mislead consumers into
believing Amazon has the best prices and can obtain every book currently in
print. Not true in both cases. If you are mainly concerned about finding
the best price, a number of online bookstores exist for the sole purpose of
underpricing Amazon, and regarding the title discussed above, many
specialty booksellers stock Dover titles as well. Amazon will not be the
only bookseller who has the Aztec Herbal. You can compare Amazon's prices
to those of other major online booksellers on www.addall.com and
www.bookfinder.com.

For an extensive listing of books scheduled to be published in the States
this year, see the Library of Congress database at http://catalog.loc.gov/.
Using the "Guided Keyword" search, search in "publication information
(KPUB)" using the term "2000". This search can be modified by subject or
Library of Congress classification.

Be informed! Please visit:
www.noamazon.com, www.amazon-books.org (a list of 257 online bookstores
that compete with amazon), and especially www.nowebpatents.com.