SC -making vinegar (longish)

CorwynWdwd@aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Wed May 17 00:56:22 PDT 2000

Caointiarn asked:
>         So, if I want to make some (a little)   wine vinegar for a particulr
> recipe,  I can just mix some of  the wine I would like to use with distilled
> vinegar, and let it sit  "a while?"
>
>     My thinking is in a closed canning jar  overnight.

Well, a bit longer than overnight. One of the period ways to speed things
up was apparently to put the vinegar-to-be barrels on board ship and
ship them somewhere.

For more information and some vinegar making directions, check this file
in the FOOD section of my files:
vinegar-msg       (32K)  1/25/00    Vinegar in period. Making vinegar.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net