SC - Barley

Jennifer L Sweet minxkitten at juno.com
Wed May 17 07:27:35 PDT 2000

Rather than beer, I would suggest unhopped brown ale, but let's not quibble,
I've used beer for flavoring.  A rye based starter is produced by different
strains of yeast and lactobacillus than a wheat based starter and is
generally sourer than wheat based starters.

A point to remember is that the breads made with barm are primarily a
northern European thing in period although Gothic bakers brought the
technique to Rome in the 1st Century BCE.  Most southern European bakers
used leavens.

In France, the use of ale barm was considered bad practice.  At some point
using anything other than a levain was prohibited by law and remained that
way until some time in the 19th Century, if I remember the dates, when the
prohibtion was lifted so Parisian bakers could produce some of their highly
aerated breads.

If you have a good starter, you might consider drying some of it and
wrapping it in foil to give to people who are interested in trying it.

Bear