SC - RE: Brangwayna Morgan/ small shire hosting events

Michael Newton melcnewt at netins.net
Thu May 18 15:17:26 PDT 2000

	snip good comments
> I would bet that very few people that attend Medieval Times or any
> of its clones thinks they have stepped into the past. But maybe 1% of
> those kids who go there and are entranced with what they see may wind
> up joining the SCA or a jousting company or even do a school report on
> history. For just that 1% then Medieval Times has earned it's keep in
> my eyes.
>
> Sorry for the editorial.
>
> Yers,
>
> Gunthar

	I think you have the right of it here, after all. I really think
that what bothers us so much is that they aren't listening to us when we try
to correct their knowledge.
	 One thing I have noticed in the 20+ years I've been playing is we
get very involved in the area we are interested in to the detriment of other
things. My main interest when I started was garb and I kind of got backed
into cooking because I had lots of scout and church dinners under my belt.
So I feel I have a little knowledge in those two areas but I couldn't tell
if the barding on a horse was period or if something was spun in a period
manner even though those are close to garb and many of those who spend most
of their study time that way could. As far as that goes I'm in awe of Ras's
knowledge of period farming, a subject I've barely touched even though it's
so important to know what was available when to know what to cook.
	I personally have not been to Medieval Times but if we ever get to
Dallas with a free evening and I can convince Bear to part with that much
money for less than 3 star food I'd like to go.
	Margarite