SC - Re: hand-grinding wheat and sturdy pastry crusts

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu May 18 19:03:36 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/18/00 3:20:22 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
CBlackwill at aol.com writes:

<< Come on, now....isn't that a little harsh?  >>

Possibly a little. :-) But I also was a professional chef for 13 years and
truly say that it does not take a scholar to be a professional chef. I left
the industry because of the blatant commercialization of the art. I suppose
if making money is the goal then 'professional' is the way to go but I still
think it is outrageous that a man of his supposed stature could not be
knowledgeable in all areas of cookery or at the very least chosen to actually
study the subject other than in a cursory manner for a show that is viewed by
millions. I grant you that he is a good cook but a great culinary artist and
scholar he definitely is not. Doing things the way they should have been done
(authentically) could have been just as entertaining as the silliness that
was presented. IMO, he had a responsibility to do so considering the
influence he has on such a large number of people. For that I will no longer
watch his program nor encourage others to do so.

Same with Medieval Times and the Renfairs. They can do a much better job
regarding authenticity and still make it as much fun. Greed is no excuse for
presenting something that is not authentic as if it were. Entertaining?
Fraudulent is a better descriptive word, IMO.

Ras