SC - looking for an old message

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Thu May 18 20:48:28 PDT 2000

Balthazar of Blackmoor said:
> allilyn at juno.com writes:
> > The Europeans tend to stir things with an over and under motion, rather
> >  than the American round and round.  This does get confusing when
> >  translating: German recipes will tell you to stir under, or over and
> >  under.  Just stir as you normally do.
>
> Actually, I *think* more and more Americans are beginning to realize that
> both methods have their place, and use them properly most of the time.  At
> least, all of the Americans I know personally...

Well..being a new cook, I had not heard of this and in fact it had never
occurred to me that there might be another way, other than around and
around, to stir something.

I can see that this over and under motion could be useful for aeriating
the food you are stirring. Is there a particular type of food preperation
where this around and around motion excells?

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net