SC - Pennsic Advice needed

Patrick Hood kelan at mindspring.com
Fri May 19 02:51:04 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/18/00 8:48:14 PM Pacific Daylight Time, stefan at texas.net
writes:

> I can see that this over and under motion could be useful for aeriating
>  the food you are stirring. Is there a particular type of food preperation
>  where this around and around motion excells?

Actually, no.  To be truthful and blunt, stirring is stirring, and you
actually get the best results, in most cases, by combining different
techniques.  One example I can think of in which a particular technique is
required, though, is in the folding of egg whites or whipped cream into a
heavier base.  The over-under method is gentler than an around-and-around
method, and will not deflate your whites or cream as much.  As to the theory
that stirring in one direction is required for chocolate or Hollandaise
sauce, I have made both countless times, and have never had any difficulties
when changing direction mid-stir.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Complacency Breeds Contempt