SC - LOVEBUG redux - yet another one!

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Fri May 19 05:40:36 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/19/00 2:50:19 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
kelan at mindspring.com writes:

> Seriously does yeast just not like some people?  Is bread like gardening?
>  I don't think I'm the only one who can't get a ball of dough to do anything
>  but mock my wishes for it to rise.

Yeast just doesn't like _you_!  :)

Seriously...what temperature are you trying to proof your bread at?  How hot
is the water when you put the yeast into it?  How long do you give the bread
to rise?  Is your yeast still alive?  A good way to check is by taking a
portion of the water, adding a little of the flour and some sugar, and
stirring your yeast into it.  Let it sit in a warm place for about 10
minutes, and if it begins to bubble, it's alive.  This will also help your
dough, because it sort of "kick-starts" the yeast.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Complacency Breeds Contempt