SC - Wine, honey, and mead

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri May 19 23:48:44 PDT 2000

Mary said:
> Hello all:  I am new to the list and also new to the SCA "world".  I =
> have enjoyed reading the messages and have found them very informative.  =
> Thank you.  I do have a question that I hope ya'll can help with... a =
> recipe that I have calls for cooking eggs in a pig's bladder..what can I =
> use as a substitute for the bladder?
> I do appreciate your help!

Welcome to SCA-Cooks, Mary.

Before we offer any substitutions, I think we will need to see the
original recipe. Is the bladder used to boil the shelled egg in? Is
it used to boil a cracked egg in? Are the eggs cooked without water
in the bladder? In each of these I suspect the impact of the bladder
will be different and I suspect having an increasing effect in the
order I gave.

I think a number of us would like to see this recipe, anyway.

You really might want to try actually using a bladder. If the problem
is getting a hold of a useable one, some of the sources mentioned in
these files in the FOOD section of the Florilegium might help:
food-sources-msg  (44K)  5/10/00    Modern sources for unusual medieval
meats
                                       and other foods.
organ-meats-msg   (43K) 12/ 1/99    Period cooking of organ meats.

While this may be too far off of using a bladder for cooking, it may
have some other useful info. This is in the CRAFTS section:
lea-bladders-msg  (15K)  8/ 3/98    Tanning, cleaning, dressing animal
bladders.

If you haven't visited the Florilegium before, you might find some of the
other files in the food sections there interesting. Most of the period
recipes given on this list eventually end up there.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net