SC - Meridian Pennsic party

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun May 21 00:24:05 PDT 2000

> Balthazar commented:
> considered bizzarre.  You can have all the museum artifacts and kindergarten
> demos you can take, but until the public knows that we aren't just a bunch
> of
> goobers who dress up in funny clothes have a pentagram dangling from our
> necks, major television networks are not going to say "Hey!  Why don't we
> ask
> THEM for some help." <<<<

The SCA does have a rather blotchy reputation across many fields
and areas. Many SCA folks could be a little more diplomatic and
concerned for the impressions they give when talking to folks outside
the SCA. The SCA, as with many other group,s has a large number of
folks who consider themselves "experts" and will tell you all about
it, yet not listen to anyone else.

Fortunately, in some fields, through the hard work of many people.
things are changing.

See this file in the EDUCATION section:
museums-msg       (27K)  4/21/00    Experiences in museums by SCA people.

Thank you Akim for the description of what your local group(s)
are doing.

> "Medieval History Experts"?  My guess would be 'no'. <<<<
>
> We would be if we maintained a local phone number!  Actually
> the multitude of web sites we (and the SCA in general) offer
> has a much more far-reaching impact than a mere telephone
> listing.  And yes, you would probably turn up these sites rather
> prominently with a search for "Medieval History Experts" or
> something similar if you were looking for help.

The phone lines used to be more of an issue, and there were and
are(?) a number of local groups with their own phone lines and
telephone listings. See this file in the SCA-INC section of my
files for more details:
SCAphoneline-msg  (12K)  8/20/91    Comments on SCA chapters having phone
                                      listings.

However, with the rise of the Internet, I think these phonelines,
for the money they cost, are becoming much less important.

I usually get half-a-dozen or so qustions every week from
folks outside the SCA about things in the Florilegium. I think
at least a few have joined the SCA or at least taken a closer
look at it. I have no way of knowing how many outside of the
SCA use the Florilegium.

> Akim Yaroslavich

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net