SC - Custard and Corned Silverside

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Sun May 21 10:13:18 PDT 2000

Unto the Gathered Cooks does Lady Gwynydd of Culloden send Greetings:

Following the Tavern Event, my Lady asked me if custard - specifically
thickened with flour - was period;  I couldn't give her an answer.  Any
ideas?  In fact, was anything known to have been thickened with flour in
period?  (We have talked a lot about the various thickening methods which
have been discussed on the list and I mentioned that flour doesn't seem to
have been used in this way.)

Oh, the another dish which was served at this event was corned silverside -
is this period, and if so, how was it cooked?  (I just happen to have a hunk
of it in the 'fridge and would love the chance to try out a medieval recipe
for it.)

Gwynydd