SC - Recipe calling for use of pig's bladder

Thomas Gloning gloning at Mailer.Uni-Marburg.DE
Sun May 21 18:41:27 PDT 2000

These are both from Fettiplace

To Butter Potato Roots" (p. 193)
"Take the roots & boile them in water, till they bee verie sort, then
peele them & slice them, then put some rosewater to them & sugar & the
pill of an orenge, & some of the iuice [sic] of the orenge, so let them
boile a good while, then put some butter to them, & when the butter is
melted serve them.  This way you may bake them, but put them unboiled
into the paste."

"To Preserve Potatoes" (p. 194)
"Boile your roots in faire water untill they bee somewhat tender then
pill of the skinne, then make your syrupe, weying to every pound of
roots a pound of sugar and a quarter of a pinte of faire water, & as
much of rose water, & the iuice of three or fowre orenges, then boile
the syrupe & scum it, then cut your roots in the middle & put them into
the syrup, & boile them till they bee throughlie soaked in the syrupe,
before you take it from the fire, put in a little musk and amber greece
[ambergris, according to the editor]."
- --Maire