SC - Sustitutions for Walnuts-OOP

allilyn@juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Mon May 22 14:51:36 PDT 2000

Ras wrote about Apicius saying:

>The Flowers edition is by far the most accurate version, IMO. Vehling's is
>one of the worst although it is an interesting book. Master Llewelyn was also
>working on a new translation but I am unsure whether he has finished or
>published it.

I have another question which would probably be
handily answered by someone on the Apicius list,
but I'll ask here anyway. When people refer to
many a recipe in Apicius they say "Apicius 227"
or some similar notation. Always "Apicius #"
and the number refers to the recipe, I'm certain.
But it certainly isn't the F&R edition of Apicius
because there are no corresponding numbers in
that text. So, to which text do the numbers refer?

The reason that I'm interested is all my Platina
work has sent me deeper in the past to trace the
recipes I'd chosen for MK Coronation. Now I need
more information to continue (not that I have the time
to research this of course, but then research is a
sickness or an addiction if you will and my head
is clamoring for information on the topic...).

Egads, it's time for me to eat. Esicium et Carne
anyone? :)

jasmine
Iasmin de Cordoba
iasmin at home.com