SC - Apicius

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue May 23 17:39:55 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/23/00 1:12:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time, stefan at texas.net
writes:

<< Huh? But Ras, you are often the one asking various posters here for the
 documentation to back up their statements. This seems in contradiction
 to your statement above. What am I missing?

What is missing is that I ask for the info if it is not provided when I can't
find it or if my own information conflicts with that which is presented. I
seldom diss an entire article or book because it lacks all the niceties that
text books and scholarly works provide us with. I never do it to personal
webpages. And I always request the information for my personal enlightenment.
What you are missing is that I do feel that an article needs the niceties.
Certainly they are nice but a certain amount of knowledge is to be expected
of the reader, IMO.

For instance in the book 'Royal Feasts' there are only one or two recipes
which gives the original but I am not dissatisfied with the book because with
what information is given I can easily look up the rest of the recipes. If I
couldn't find them then I would ask the author for the sources especially if
the information presented conflicted with my current knowledge.

Is that a little clearer?

Ras