SC -cooling Creme' Bastarde

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Tue May 23 21:40:46 PDT 2000

Bogdan asked:
> The recent Thread on cooling in period, as well as a mention of chemical
> cooling, reminds me of something I ran across recently

> There was
> a claim that chemical heating (like the little pads you can get to drop in
> your gloves/socks) are actually an ancient Chinese formula.  Anyone know
> if it's period?

Yes, at least some chemical heating/cooking was known. I doubt it was
very common and I'm not sure where it originated. However, to check out
another oddity from the Florilegium (err, and I don't mean Stefan),
check
this file in the FOOD section:
no-fire-cook-msg  (16K) 10/ 5/98    Period no-fire and solar cooking.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net