SC -cooling Creme' Bastarde

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue May 23 21:59:44 PDT 2000

On Tue, 23 May 2000 allilyn at juno.com wrote:

> Constance will have no trouble.  She will dig a 10 to 12' hole, forge
> stone axes and mallets, hike to the nearest mountain range, hew stone to
> line the cellar, construct a wooden wagon from trees she fells herself,
> breed, raise and train a team of oxen to pull the stone laden wagon back
> to the cellar site.  After researching and reconstructing period cement
> methods--and then deciding to cut the stone to stand alone--she will
> divert a mountain stream through the cellar, placing her hand thrown
> pottery containers in the cold stream.  The contents will get cold.  ;-)

Sounds like a version on the theme of "standing, in a canoe". All the
earth cellars I have seen (they are fairly common in the countryside
here) are OOP, but they were constructed above ground, with no mortar,
and with soil/turf piled on top of them. The construction method has
been described as

	* build wooden frame according to a special method
	* make stone shell on top of frame
	* remove wooden frame (by knocking out key piece)
	* add soil cover and a door.

No idea how old this method is, but the stone was gathered, from the
same source that one uses when one builds stone walls around the fields.

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                                      parlei at algonet.se
Remember:  The light at the end of the tunnel is muzzle flash.