SC -cooling Creme' Bastarde

LadyPDC@aol.com LadyPDC at aol.com
Tue May 23 22:48:28 PDT 2000

Allison declared:
> Constance will have no trouble.  She will dig a 10 to 12' hole, forge
> stone axes and mallets, hike to the nearest mountain range, hew stone to
> line the cellar, construct a wooden wagon from trees she fells herself,
> breed, raise and train a team of oxen to pull the stone laden wagon back
> to the cellar site.  After researching and reconstructing period cement
> methods--and then deciding to cut the stone to stand alone--she will
> divert a mountain stream through the cellar, placing her hand thrown
> pottery containers in the cold stream.  The contents will get cold.  ;-)
>
> Hey, guys!  We got an answer to Martha Stewart!  And, she's period!

Umm. I don't either of the them is quite old enough to be period. :-)

But I do want to see her forge a "stone" axe.

Is there any evidence of stone cutting tools being used in medieval
Europe? Stone tools of any kind? What about rolling pins? Umm. Ok,
mortars were of stone. Were most mortars of stone or was wood used
also?

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net