SC - Russian Recipes

Jenn/Yana jdmiller2 at students.wisc.edu
Wed May 24 14:13:26 PDT 2000

>I seemed to have read somewhere about a way to make a cooler out of unglazed
>pottery, like terracotta flower pots. <snip>
>Ysabeau of Prague

Does this help?

"During the day they place the water in the sun, and when night comes they
strain the thick sediment and again expose the water to the air in earthen
jars set on the highest part of the house, while throughout the entire
night two slaves wet down jars with water.  At dawn they take the jars
downstairs, and again drawing off the sediment, they thus make the water
clear and in every way healthful."
Protagorides, quoted in Athenaeus, Book III, pp. 77-79.

Regards,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
Author and Publisher of "Take a Thousand Eggs or More" and "A Sip Through Time"
http://www.thousandeggs.com
cindy at thousandeggs.com