SC - Keeping Cool

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Wed May 24 14:42:24 PDT 2000

>It's curious that the author would suggest keeping honey in an icehose or
>cold room, since honey has practically an eternal shelf life at room temp.
>Perhaps the folks of his/her time were not aware of this?  Any comments?
>Balthazar of Blackmoor

Well, since Russia was big in the honey and wax trade, I would think that
they would be fairly conversant in the properties of honey.  Maybe most
foodstuffs were kept in the cellar and the honey just was along for the
ride?  Perhaps it was the habit of the family of the author to keep the
honey in the cellar because that's where the big cask fit best, for
example.  Does unprocessed honey need to be kept cool?  Maybe that is what
the "fresh" is referring to.  in short, I have no idea.  :-)

- --Yana